Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Seeing is Believing


Yesterday, I noted how much easier it was for me to comprehend Backward Design when watching a videotape explaining it. Today, I have another example for your delectation:

My wife and I spent a wonderful day at the Peabody Essex Museum, or PEM in Salem, Massachusetts, a great way to avoid kitchy, commercialized witchdom while visiting that beautiful community. Our primary reason for going was to see an exhibit on Joseph Cornell, an artist worth a looksee, particularly if you're looking for provocative art project ideas for children. He was self-taught and an inveterate collector, creating collages, many of them in glass-fronted boxes, that impressed the Surrealists and other avant-gardists of his day.

But what I want to particularly bring to your attention is another exhibit at PEM, one on Origami. I'm half-decent at it, even though I'm always challenged by the written diagrams instructing me as to the sequence of folds ("Now is that a mountain fold, or a valley fold?"). But PEM had a great video step-by-step demonstration, and the water lily I produced is proof that once again today, visual instruction takes the prize. Try it yourself here!

No comments:

Post a Comment